Saturday, March 6, 2010

Wool Blanketing - no more?

I cannot tell you how shocked I was yesterday when I called to re-order our beautiful wool blanketing fabric and found out that the mill had shut down after 144 years in business! It took me years to find this gorgeous fabric and I've been ordering for years. After our hugely successful cyber expo, I was all but sold out and so it was time to order again. I was given no hint at all that there were any problems when I last ordered or I'd have ordered a lot more.

So, what do we do now? Wool blanketing was the first item we stocked in our inventory and has been the backbone ever since. Wooly Thread actually started stocking supplies because I had the blanketing for the wool teddy bears I was making and others were looking for it, too. I began importing it from Australia, but that had all sorts of problems associated with it, so I was always looking for a US source which I finally found in Minnesota at Faribault Woolen Mills. They were a real quality operation and we are saddened to see them go the way of so many other fine businesses in this recession.

I am on the hunt for another source and have found one that may work out, but I'm in the earliest stages and haven't had a reply yet or gotten to see and feel their blanketing. I'll keep you posted.......

No comments: